Wednesday 23 June 2010

What is "Beginning Style"?

Two answers...

Beginning style is one of the first moves, and the first real technique, in the tai chi form I practice. The tai chi I study is called Wudang Tai Chi Chuan, named after the Wudang Mountain, legendary birth place of tai chi.

Beginning Style is also the name of this blog, set up to coincide with my initial attempts at teaching tai chi. In their wisdom, the HR people at the company where I work have accepted my offer to lead a weekly lunchtime session; a couple of dozen people have signed up for the initial 10 weeks. The focus will be on the health aspects of the art, and I am hoping that there is sufficient interest to maintain the lessons after the introductory course.

I'm really looking forward to this new experience, and my early sense of panic and self-doubt has faded to some extent.

We're only training for 40 minutes each week, so I intend to use Beginning Style as a means of addressing questions that people raise in the class, in the hope of keeping the doing/talking ratio as high as possible. I will also be reflecting on my experience of teaching, and may also post more general tai chi material, book reviews etc.

Let's see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment